German Gothic Breastplate 1480-1490
Composed. Formed of two pieces joined by a bolt. The main plate with a low medial ridge, plain angular,outward turned rolls at the neck and arm holes. The roll at the neck forming a vertical front edge then rounded over the top. The roll tapers nicely at the ends. The arm rolls of similar, but not as nicely executed form. The arm holes each with three flutes parallel to the rolls. Plackart rising to a central squared off point pierced with four hearts, the center with a vertial keel. The upper edges of the plackart with two parallel flutes. Bottom edge of the plackart flaired to carry a fauld. The parts have been together for all of its modern history, but they are associated. The plackart and upper are secured to each other by a central bolt which threads directly into one of 4 holes pierced in the upper. The bolt is likely from the same period as well. As currently displayed, it sits a little tall, and the waist line will appear to be straighter than it would have been originally. Plates show signs of delamination and wear through cleaning.
Provenance - H. Wendel, Munich 1926, Stephen V. Granscay by 1933, Howard M. Curtis sold Christie's London 31 Oct. 1984 lot 273, a private French collection.
Exhibited - Brooklyn Museum 1933 no. 16, Rochester Museum of Arts and Sciences 1935, Allentown Art Museum 1964 no. 64 (illustrated in the catalogue on page 41).
If you have any questions, please send them to Wade Allen
This site last updated Sat Jul 24 10:08:55 EDT 2021